Nintendo Direct Mini announces multiple new first-party games
11 January 2018 – by Jack Taylor
A surprise Nintendo Direct Mini has announced several first-party and third-party titles for Nintendo Switch, as well as a free update for Super Mario Odyssey.
Released without prior announcement at 14:00 GMT, the Nintendo Direct Mini featured a number of games coming to Nintendo Switch in the first half of this year, including:
- Dark Souls: Remastered - Bandai Namco will release the enhanced version of Dark Souls for Nintendo Switch on 25 May, with greater framerate and resolution, as well as the Artorias of the Abyss add-on content.
- The World Ends with You: Final Remix - Square Enix has updated the Nintendo DS classic with HD visuals and a brand new epilogue, as well as Joy-Con or touch sceen support for rhythmic battles; the game launches in 2018.
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - the Wii U platformer launches for Nintendo Switch on 4 May, with all of the original content, plus a new beginner mode featuring Funky Kong, who has more health and can carry out moves such as double-jumps and infinite rolls - and a surfboard that prevents spike damage.
- Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition - the ultimate version of the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS game launches for Nintendo Switch this spring, with all of the content from both versions of the game, including 29 playable characters, all Adventure mode maps, and more - plus new outfits for Link and Zelda based on The Legend o Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
- Mario Tennis Aces - launching for Nintendo Switch this spring, the latest Mario Tennis game introduces a story mode for the first time since the Game Boy Advance entry, with missions and boss battles included.
In addition, updates are coming for:
- Super Mario Odyssey - a new minigame called Luigi's Balloon World comes in a free update in February, allowing two players to partake in a competitive balloon-hunting game, where one player hides the balloon and the other has to find it - the update also adds three new outfits and some new Snapshot Mode filters.
- Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle - the story mode add-on content has been confirmed as adding Donkey Kong as a playable character, with new story content and a new world also included within the pack, which launches in the spring.
- Pokkén Tournament DX - new paid add-on content for the game will add two waves of new content - the first featuring Aegislash as a playable character alongside Mega Rayquaza and Mimikyu as support Pokémon, while the second will feature Blastoise as a playable Pokémon and Mew and Celebi as support Pokémon.
Also announced during the Direct (full press release below) are:
- Kirby Star Allies - 16 March release date announced
- SNK Heroines ~Tag Team Frenzy~ - launching this summer
- Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana - launching this summer
- Payday 2 - launching 27 February
- Fe - launching 16 February
- Celeste - launching 25 January